Anyone can resign from a job however there are steps you can take that will ensure you leave with your dignity intact and with an employer sorry to see you go. Don’t forget, they will be providing your reference!
- Decide when it’s time to move on, there could be a number of reasons for this.
- Ensure that you have you affairs in order regardless of whether you are leaving in one month or 3 months.
- Check your contract in order to ascertain what notice period you are required to give and whether or not you have any restricted covenants.
- Write a letter of resignation, address it to your immediate manager, ensuring you state your notice of termination of employment, when it will be effective from, and details of your notice period.
- Schedule a time to meet with your boss, prepare in advance what you will say and personally give your boss the letter of resignation.
- Work conscientiously until your departure, ensuring the quality of work is as good as it always has been, as you want to be remembered for the good work you have done even after you have left.
- Leave a phone number where your former employer can contact you if anyone needs to ask you any follow-up questions after you have left.